Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Official Horror Thread
Hey Folks,

I figured we needed a place to discuss horror, so here we are! What have you all seen/read recently?
Thumbs Up 
Last watched horror movie was

The Devil Commands (1941)

[Image: Devil_Commands_poster.jpg]

This is a gem of a b-movie with a great performance from Boris Karloff and a lot of interesting visuals. Edward Dmytryk sets the mood perfectly with the opening shot of a creepy house during a thunder storm. The film is narrated by Amanda Duff who plays Karloff's daughter. Karloff plays a scientist who invents a machine that records human brain waves. After his wife is killed he discovers her brain waves are still being recorded and becomes obsessed with making contact with the dead. He comes under the influence of a shady fortune teller and accidentally injures his servant Karl. When his housekeeper discovers the truth about his experiments she is accidentally killed which attracts the attention of the local sheriff. The film climaxes when an angry mob storms his home during an experiment involving his own daughter.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
How was it?
I watched the pilot to From Dusk Till Dawn on Netflix the other night and was surprised by how much I liked it. I think I'll watch the next one now! Anybody else watching this?
Just caught this on TCM

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

[Image: JekyllHyde1931.jpg]

One of the interesting things about this film is Rouben Mamoulian's use of first person perspective shots and clever transitions. It really is filled with incredible visuals and inventive film techniques. The Wally Westmore special effects make-up for Hyde is subtle but very effective both gruesome and animal like. Fredric March plays Mr. Hyde brilliantly and he nails the villain's mannerisms perfectly. The scene where Hyde first looks into the mirror and says "Free! Free at last!" is one of my favorites. Miriam Hopkins looked stunning and she gives a tremendous performance as Ivy Pearson. This is arguably the best adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson novel on film.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
Freaks (1932)

[Image: FreaksPoster.jpg]

Easily my favorite Tod Browning film which is no small task given his body of work. Watching Prince Randian, a man with no arms and no legs, take a match from a matchbox and light a cigarette using only his mouth is still one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.
(09-13-2014, 01:37 AM)Jef UK Wrote: I watched the pilot to From Dusk Till Dawn on Netflix the other night and was surprised by how much I liked it. I think I'll watch the next one now! Anybody else watching this?

i downloaded it when it aired on rodriquezs cable channel.
i enjoyed it a lot.
the george clooney character is HOT and the tarantino character is hotter.
(09-13-2014, 01:37 AM)Jef UK Wrote: I watched the pilot to From Dusk Till Dawn on Netflix the other night and was surprised by how much I liked it. I think I'll watch the next one now! Anybody else watching this?

(09-13-2014, 04:35 AM)Semaj Leachim Wrote: i downloaded it when it aired on rodriquezs cable channel.
i enjoyed it a lot.
the george clooney character is HOT and the tarantino character is hotter.

Is the Tarantino character still a rapist with a foot fetish?
I love Freaks.
This arrived, but I haven't had a chance to watch it.