Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Official Horror Thread
(04-22-2019, 11:21 AM)WesleyCraigGreen Wrote: I would like to hear / read people's thoughts on the book, House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

I picked this up not too long ago after remembering having read some good reviews of it.

Has anyone here read it? Is it worth the time?

I really liked it, though I can see the playing around with structure as a love-it-or-hate-it thing. I liked the layers of narrative, and there were some great segments in there. It's one of those books where the storytelling is as much a factor as the plot it's telling.

I don't know if I'd read another book trying to use the same techniques, but I thought they worked well in that particular book. I forget which version I have - it's a trade sized paperback, and I think it was b&w rather than colour. I ways got the feeling the publisher kind of took the piss with the number of editions that came out.

I haven't read anything else by Danielewski, so no idea if this one was a fluke or not.
[Image: tumblr_ng0ugfQ3Bb1rqbjyuo1_500.jpg]
[Image: PK2000_zps3l9lwfgk.jpg]
Note that the up-to-30% discount at Nightscape Press is still available, I don't know for how much longer, see my post here:

http://rocketf.org/thepond/showthread.ph...#pid446418

You can get a hardcover set of Jon Padgett and Matthew Bartlett's first collections with a special third volume of collaborations for $105 instead of $150. And several charitable chapbooks can be preordered (of which a portion of the sales will be donated to a charity chosen by the writer).
Carrie: The Game - They're all going to laugh WITH you...

[Image: carrie.jpg]
The Invitation is a slow burn of a movie that creates a constant feeling of tension and unease. It's about a group of friends who haven't seen each other in a while. The main protagonist deals with grief and through flashbacks we learn more about it. At some point early in the first third of the movie their hosts show them a video of a trip they have made that changed their outlook on life. And this is something that, along with the main protagonist, will make you question what is really going on there. At this point you have already been drawn in and each new development challenges you to reevaluate the situation.

This is the kind of movie where you should know as little as possible going in. 

Great performances by Logan Marshall-Green and Lindsay Burdge, two actors on the rise, there's John Carroll Lynch (Sheriff Ryan in Gothika) who owns each scene he's in, and Tammy Blanchard, who is no stranger to horror films (Deadline) though she has often been overshadowed by more famous actresses in the movies she could be seen in.

[Image: the-invitation-poster-large_1200_1744_81_s-1.jpg]
(06-27-2019, 05:08 PM)Andreas Wrote: The Invitation is a slow burn of a movie that creates a constant feeling of tension and unease. It's about a group of friends who haven't seen each other in a while. The main protagonist deals with grief and through flashbacks we learn more about it. At some point early in the first third of the movie their hosts show them a video of a trip they have made that changed their outlook on life. And this is something that, along with the main protagonist, will make you question what is really going on there. At this point you have already been drawn in and each new development challenges you to reevaluate the situation.  

This is the kind of movie where you should know as little as possible going in. 

Great performances by Logan Marshall-Green and Lindsay Burdge, two actors on the rise, there's John Carroll Lynch (Sheriff Ryan in Gothika)  who owns each scene he's in, and Tammy Blanchard, who is no stranger to horror films (Deadline) though she has often been overshadowed by more famous actresses in the movies she could be seen in.  

[Image: the-invitation-poster-large_1200_1744_81_s-1.jpg]

I second this recommendation. And I agree, the less you know about it going in, the better.

If I remember right, one of the adult kids (the author) from The Haunting of Hill House is also in it.

Out this month.

“Jaws” The Board Game by Ravensburger

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/24/...ensburger/

[Image: jaws-board-game-review-1.jpg]
One of the never-made films I occasionally obsess over is John Carpenter's Creature From the Black Lagoon remake. A few days ago, Variety posted a video interview with him, and right near the beginning, they flash on a Creature maquette that is set up on his mantle that could possibly be the design he was hoping to go with for it. I've never seen it before, and I'm not sure if Rick Baker did it or not, but it's interesting to finally get a look at. At least to me.

https://variety.com/video/john-carpenter...the-thing/
[Image: 67189714_628133644337168_391536782506064....fbcdn.net]
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
If Sutter Cane did not already exist, someone would have to invent him.

Quote:NowThis
@nowthisnews

Stephen King Wrote About Trump's Rise Decades Ago
Author @StephenKing predicted the rise of Trump 40 years ago — but he says the reality is scarier than anything he’s written

14:33 - 14. Juli 2019