Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The NEW Music Thread
I like the phrase:

Glowing reviews on Youtube
[Image: PK2000_zps3l9lwfgk.jpg]
QSG

Yeah... that isn't one of my proudest message board moments.

I've been meaning to listen to Deafhaven because a former board member has been talking them up on FaceySpace, but I'm even more intrigued by the description featuring REM and the Smiths alongside black metal.
I've tried listening to their first full release, Sunbather, and it didn't grab me. It was too much black metal-ish for me. It still had some good melodic bits which might require another go.

I haven't listened to New Bermuda which came out before their new one. Haven't heard anything from it but from some interviews I read, the band were going through various addiction and personal issues while making it. So I expect even more black metal influences but I could be wrong!

They have a bunch of videos on YouTube of songs from the new release. Most are 10+ minutes songs but they zig zag into different genres in nearly every song. It could be heart-thumping death metal for a bit before mellowing out into a REM-influenced passage that turns into a blistering David Gilmour solo followed by a mellow Johnny Marr riff before your face melts from the death metal chorus. Great stuff!

Wow, Weird Al just does a straight cover, (for him anyway) and it's actually pretty good.

(02-20-2016, 11:00 AM)Jason Wrote: Morty wept

(02-20-2016, 11:01 AM)LETTERS Wrote: Morty is Morty.
That's Weezer's cover. Al is only in the video.
(10-13-2018, 08:05 PM)TIP Wrote: That's Weezer's cover.  Al is only in the video.

That's not Al singing? Oh okay.
(02-20-2016, 11:00 AM)Jason Wrote: Morty wept

(02-20-2016, 11:01 AM)LETTERS Wrote: Morty is Morty.

I guess this is less "a band you might not have heard of" and more "this consistently-good band put out one of the most batfuck-crazy and amazing albums of the year."
Duluth's own!
(11-26-2018, 07:26 PM)TIP Wrote: Duluth's own!

Actual merch:

[Image: Low_MN-Tee_Mens_large.png]