Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Batcave: The Official All Things Batman Thread
(09-13-2014, 12:28 PM)Carl G. Wrote: Sad

I appreciated that you brought it back. I was sad when it got banned on the old board. Sure, it was overused, but it had its place.

no no no—I put the bert gifs in for a second but then I started having a seizure.
(09-13-2014, 12:17 PM)Irish Gav Wrote: Nice. Breyfogle's art is great. Loved the way he did Batman.

I don't know much about Breyfogle. I just got the issue posted above, as I liked Barr's work with Alan Davis and figured I'd get his last two or three.
[Image: ZURFndf.jpg]
As much as I've loved Batman outside the comic - the animated series, all the movies (except Clooney's), the old Adam West show, I even have a painting of Batman on my wall that my sister created for me when she was in high school - I've never been able to follow the comic for an extended period of time. I've got some of the early Tim Drake Robin stuff, Knightfall, some of the other 'events' from the late nineties and early aughts. I read all of Gotham Central (which isn't really Batman) and I came back for Hush and stuck around until the middle of Morrison's run, which for whatever reason I wasn't able to keep up on.
[Image: 23hu877.gif]
^ Seek out “Batman the Black Mirror"
[Image: bctluRO.jpg?1]
(09-13-2014, 12:37 PM)Your pal Jim Wrote: I don't know much about Breyfogle. I just got the issue posted above, as I liked Barr's work with Alan Davis and figured I'd get his last two or three.

Alan Grant took over on detective after Barr. Alot of great stuff in that run. First Appearance (I think) of the Ventriloquist, and Anarky and a couple of mignola covers.

I might remember it overfondly because it was my “first love” but I think it’ll hold up. I have a tough time getting through older comics these days (I can’t stand the claremontian over narration) but I bet that stuff holds up.
(09-13-2014, 12:40 PM)Carl G. Wrote: As much as I've loved Batman outside the comic - the animated series, all the movies (except Clooney's), the old Adam West show, I even have a painting of Batman on my wall that my sister created for me when she was in high school - I've never been able to follow the comic for an extended period of time. I've got some of the early Tim Drake Robin stuff, Knightfall, some of the other 'events' from the late nineties and early aughts. I read all of Gotham Central (which isn't really Batman) and I came back for Hush and stuck around until the middle of Morrison's run, which for whatever reason I wasn't able to keep up on.

I have jumped around with him my whole life and I am trying to fill the many gaps now, when it costs a lot more. I'm efficient like that.

I'm not buying any new Batbooks (except the '66/Green Hornet team-ups for the amazing Alex Ross covers; I'll give it a read-thru when it wraps up).

There's so much out there that you can pick and choose the primo shit.

If you want recommendations, say the word.
(09-13-2014, 12:40 PM)Carl G. Wrote: As much as I've loved Batman outside the comic - the animated series, all the movies (except Clooney's), the old Adam West show, I even have a painting of Batman on my wall that my sister created for me when she was in high school - I've never been able to follow the comic for an extended period of time. I've got some of the early Tim Drake Robin stuff, Knightfall, some of the other 'events' from the late nineties and early aughts. I read all of Gotham Central (which isn't really Batman) and I came back for Hush and stuck around until the middle of Morrison's run, which for whatever reason I wasn't able to keep up on.

How about Frank Miller's Year One and Dark Knight Returns?

Moore's The Killing Joke? Morrison's Arkham Asylum?

Loeb & Sale's Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Haunted Knight?

Azzarello & Bermejo's Joker?

Brubaker's The Man Who Laughs?

Dini & Timm's Mad Love?

Neal Adams and Marshall Rogers both have good Batman-centric collections. And there's a series of Batman In The... collections by decade (Forties, Fifties, etc) that do a good job.
(09-13-2014, 12:52 PM)Brother Power the Gong Wrote: I have jumped around with him my whole life and I am trying to fill the many gaps now, when it costs a lot more. I'm efficient like that.

I'm not buying any new Batbooks (except the '66/Green Hornet team-ups for the amazing Alex Ross covers; I'll give it a read-thru when it wraps up).

I filled in a few gaps at some of the cons a few years back with some of the essentials: the Loeb and Sale stuff, Killing Joke, Dark Knight I read when I was in High School, the Grendel crossovers, etc. The self contained Batman stories are far easier to get into than the DCU stuff (surprise, surprise). Next year I'm planning a rewatch of all the animated series + Beyond (maybe even JLU if I have the time)
(09-13-2014, 12:52 PM)Brother Power the Gong Wrote: I have jumped around with him my whole life and I am trying to fill the many gaps now, when it costs a lot more. I'm efficient like that.

This would interest me greatly. I'll find it when it gets collected.