Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Classic Video Games | What games did you use to play?
Here's a thread to celebrate/reminisce about the video games of yesteryear. Forget your Xbones and your Playstation 2, 3, 4. Forget your Angry Birds and your Minecrafts. Let's talk about your favorite arcade game. The entertainment systems of Nintendo. The genesis of Sega. The Colecovision and those watches that would have a built-in game to them.

--------------------

I'll go ahead and start by talking about the only two games I remember from the first game system in my home, the Intellivision.

Lock 'n' Chase

This game was essentially a knock off Pac-Man. You got to play as multiple players and there were a few other tweaks, like random locks showing up blocking pathways, but it was more or less the same. You also played as crooks evading the police and trying to steal the most money from a bank, so take that GTA.

[Image: Lock.png]

------------

The second game, one I remember so fondly, and I'm sure would hold up so poorly, was

Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man

You got to be He-Man, and try to kick Skeletor's ass! You got to fly the Wind Raider! You got to sword fight! Castle Grayskull was there to be stormed! What's not to love?

Well... Here's Castle Grayskull:

[Image: he-man-intellivision.gif]
Threatening, eh?

Here's you dodging fireballs (maybe actually Skeletor's semen?) to get to the villain.

[Image: 51720-masters-of-the-universe-the-power-...enshot.gif]
Here's you flying!

[Image: masters_of_the_universe__the_power_of_he-man.png]

A little underwhelming? Perhaps. But flying after Skeletor is one of those video game memories etched into my brain.

Anyways, what are some of your earliest gaming memories?
Back in the day we had one of the Atari systems (the 7200, i think). The one game that stands out most in my mind the most was Food Fight, where you had to go from one side of the screen to the other while chucking food at chefs.

Also, a bit later, but I played the hell out of Super Mario 3 when it came out. Remains one of my most favorite games.
i had an atari but dont really remember playing it.
we had this old "console" called a socrates. it was educational and i loved the shit out of it because i was young enough to think it was great.

ugh.

then once i got a nintendo in 88 i played everything i could.
a game i remember always playing and never getting anywhere in was some game about a blue cat noir detective who had spring loaded boxing glove guns and shit. i want to say it was called rocky something something. but i cant remember.
played dragon warrior (fuck you dragon quest, trying to make my childhood a lie!) one and two, but then funcoland and blockbuster NEVER had 3 and 4. its one of the things that always made me sad.
then i got an snes followed by a sega. its hard for me to decide which system i actually had more fun with.
sega gave me blood and gore, snes gave me good games.
shining force was awesome, so was my first introduction to the final fantasy series. ff 2 and 3 (murka) blew my 9 and 11 year old mind.
i remember eternal champions on the sega. it was the first game i had for the system, and i even got the expensive six button controller to play it!
or maybe the controller came with the console. i dont know!

thats just all i can think of right now.
Food Fight! Now that's a blast from the past. And reminded me of another game for the Intellivision.

Burgertime

[Image: BurgerTime_%2528IntelliVision%2529_005.png]

The epitome of gaming there.
(09-13-2014, 04:35 PM)c. page Wrote: Back in the day we had one of the Atari systems (the 7200, i think). The one game that stands out most in my mind the most was Food Fight, where you had to go from one side of the screen to the other while chucking food at chefs.

Also, a bit later, but I played the hell out of Super Mario 3 when it came out. Remains one of my most favorite games.

I thought I knew you, and then you didn't mention the Avengers arcade game.
I played goldeneye for like an hour last night.
(09-13-2014, 04:43 PM)Adam Witt Wrote: I thought I knew you, and then you didn't mention the Avengers arcade game.

I figured this was more for games you played at home. I did not have an Avengers arcade console in my house, more's the pity.
(09-13-2014, 04:53 PM)c. page Wrote: I figured this was more for games you played at home. I did not have an Avengers arcade console in my house, more's the pity.

America still needs your help.
Secret of Mana was one of my first RPGs. Blew my mind. Nothing else I've played has ever captured that particular magic.
(09-13-2014, 04:55 PM)Adam Witt Wrote: America still needs your help.

But yes, I loved the hell out of that Avengers game. Except for when a small blond child would wander up and try to give me advice such as "Throw the wrench!"