Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swamp Thing Appreciation Thread
What's the explanation? I didn't see one.
(06-07-2019, 07:20 PM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: What's the explanation? I didn't see one.

What I read was that it was purely a financial decision. The production had been promised something like $40,000,000 in tax credits for shooting in Lousiana but ended up only receiving $12,000,000 in tax credits.

That discrepancy sealed Swampy's fate.

That's what I read.
So are they ay least going to air it all? Or have none of the episodes actually filmed?
(06-07-2019, 07:22 PM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: So are they ay least going to air it all? Or have none of the episodes actually filmed?

They planned thirteen episodes, but that got cut down to ten, and all ten episodes will be presented.

Goofy, though, that DC Universe insists on dragging it out one episode per week. This is the era of binging, and they're not on board. So now people have to maintain interest for nine more weeks knowing full well the show is already DOA.
Swamp Thing doesn't think he should pay his fair share.
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
Switch Friend Code: SW-3450-8782-7709
And I've also go to say the DC Universe app is garbage. It's all very awkward. Unless you're reading a comic, you're stuck in landscape mode, for one thing. I have a large table and would like to browse in portrait mode. Too bad!

Then, trying to navigate around the comics interface is very awkward, too. I would be in a comic and want to go back to the comic search screen but could only go page by page back through the comic I was reading. It didn't seem to be possible to easily zip in and out of a comic.

Finally, although the entire run of Swamp Thing (including the Vertigo issues) was supposedly available, the app kept telling me that each issue I wanted to read was "unavailable" on my tablet yet that wasn't the case on my desktop PC. But if I accessed one on my PC, then afterward I could read it on my tablet.

Who needs that kind of aggravation?
(06-07-2019, 07:30 PM)Ben Wrote: Swamp Thing doesn't think he should pay his fair share.

He's the star, not the accountant. He cares not about money, human. No
(06-07-2019, 07:33 PM)Kensington Wrote: He's the star, not the accountant. He cares not about money, human. No

But he does care about the green!
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
Switch Friend Code: SW-3450-8782-7709
(06-07-2019, 07:22 PM)Kensington Wrote: What I read was that it was purely a financial decision. The production had been promised something like $40,000,000 in tax credits for shooting in Lousiana but ended up only receiving $12,000,000 in tax credits.

That discrepancy sealed Swampy's fate.

That's what I read.

North Carolina, not Louisiana.

However, the director of the state office that doles out those tax credits says, it had nothing to do with DC pulling the plug on the show.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/06/07/swam...statement/

Quote:A week after it's debut on DC Universe, Swamp Thing was sent to the chopping block in a surprise move. Initial reports suggested a snafu with the tax break paperwork led to the cancellation but now, the North Carolina Film Office has officially denied those claims. In a statement to CBR, Guy Gaster — the director of the aforementioned outfit — reveals that's simply not the case.

Before Warner Brothers started filming in the state, Gaster says, the production was supposed upwards of $16.9 million for the entire first season, something both the State and production company reportedly agreed on.

"The production team for Swamp Thing knew before production began that North Carolina would offer up to $4.9M in rebates for their pilot episode and $12M for the remainder of season one," Gaster says in the statement. "They accepted said offer and even signed a contract with the state with those figures. Per state legislation, the NC Film and Entertainment grant can only award up to $12M per season for a series. Per the program’s guidelines, pilot episodes are counted as their own series. In total, the program only receives $31M annually."

Previous reports suggested Swamp Thing was due to receive some $40m in tax credits, clearly more than the program hands out each year. As it stands already, Swamp Thing received a massive chunk of the subsidies allowed this year. The season reportedly cost upwards of $85m to produce and in the world of streaming, it likely led to a massive loss for the team at Warner Brothers as they continue to work getting DC Universe off the ground.
(02-20-2016, 11:00 AM)Jason Wrote: Morty wept

(02-20-2016, 11:01 AM)LETTERS Wrote: Morty is Morty.
DC's story sounds more and more fishy. I'm thinking they started to get cold feet about the show's production costs, (regardless if they were getting a tax break) and that's why they canned it, and used the tax credit story as a cover.
(02-20-2016, 11:00 AM)Jason Wrote: Morty wept

(02-20-2016, 11:01 AM)LETTERS Wrote: Morty is Morty.