Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Readers, Do Yourselves a Favor: The Official Malazan Book of the Fallen Thread
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson (not to be confused with Steve Erickson, who is also a great novelist), is possibly the greatest fantasy series of all time, and I say this even though I've only read 40% of it. It's an epic story spanning millennia, told in a mosaic fashion where characters from one book aren't necessarily in the next book, and it's very well-written. Uncharacteristically for a fantasy series, it seems to have been well-planned from the outset and has very little fluff. I would be surprised, for instance, if there were a description of a character's clothing that lasted more than a sentence or two (as opposed to, say, The Wheel of Time).

Anyway, I'm doing a reread of the early books with a mind to finish the series. Feel free to read along with me and comment here. I'm finishing up a reread of book three right now, but then I'm heading back to book one and will comment as I go from there.

Also, this thread is in memory of Fourthman. Never forget.
LOL
[Image: PK2000_zps3l9lwfgk.jpg]
I'm been trumpeting this series since the early-Aughts, kids.

Get on board.

It's the greatest fantasy series I have ever read (the main 10 volumes).

Only recently started the 'side-series' written by Malazan co-creator Ian Esslemont; the first book of which is called Night of Knives.
Fuckin' Doc!

(not that way)
You nerds and your "books"!
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
(04-25-2019, 05:19 PM)TIP Wrote: I'm been trumpeting this series since the early-Aughts, kids.

Get on board.

It's the greatest fantasy series I have ever read (the main 10 volumes).

Only recently started the 'side-series' written by Malazan co-creator Ian Esslemont; the first book of which is called Night of Knives.

Yeah, I read the first book maybe in 2006 because of you. But then I waited years to read book two and even more years to read three and four. So I need to start over.
(04-25-2019, 05:26 PM)Dusto Wrote: Yeah, I read the first book maybe in 2006 because of you. But then I waited years to read book two and even more years to read three and four. So I need to start over.

I was through Memories of Ice shortly after it was released then I was distracted by other things for however long (but still picking the books up as they were released).

When I got back to the series I, too, started over.

Finished the 10th volume last year and, yes, it's awesome.
(04-25-2019, 05:19 PM)TIP Wrote: Fuckin' Doc!

(not that way)

Fourth!
Perhaps I shall try to read these 'books' you speak of.
(01-04-2016, 03:16 PM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Magic Mike is actually pretty good! I thought, anyway.
i refuse. you all read discworld!
I've got the power because I'll let the monkeys loose...
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: Copia_de_Consomepanchi.gif]