Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Star Trek Thread
(09-18-2014, 09:08 AM)Flonk Wrote: I'm sorry I thought you said you were looking forward to a new Star Trek novel and/or a new Voyager thing, but that couldn't be right.

I like the novels. I have particularly enjoyed the recent Data trilogy. There ain't a new TNG until like November though so until then, I'm picking through what comes out.

The Voyager stuff has been a little... ridiculous but with the status quo changing yet again, I am interested to see what happens next.
I've been waiting for a complete TNG Blu-ray set (probably just a cardboard band around 'em, like they did with TOS, but hoping for a price break at least!)... but the specs for December's season 7 and the standalone All Good Things disc put me over the top. Plus, why should Sy have something I don't?! That ain't right. So I ordered seasons 3 thru 6. I was not budgeted for this! But I love 'em.

Picard-era FOREVER!
[Image: ZURFndf.jpg]
(09-18-2014, 08:28 AM)Atomic Mortal Wrote: The new films are entertaining fluff. I barely remember them after leaving the theater. There's no real "meat" to them. And that's something I expect from a good Star Trek film.

Name one movie other than Khan that had any "meat" to it, please.

And I'm not talking about Ricardo Montelbon's rippling pecs.
(09-18-2014, 09:20 AM)Your pal Jim Wrote: I've been waiting for a complete TNG Blu-ray set (probably just a cardboard band around 'em, like they did with TOS, but hoping for a price break at least!)... but the specs for December's season 7 and the standalone All Good Things disc put me over the top. Plus, why should Sy have something I don't?! That ain't right. So I ordered seasons 3 thru 6. I was not budgeted for this! But I love 'em.

Picard-era FOREVER!

Season 7 is rough, man. There are a few good episodes, and obviously the finale, but there's a ton of stupid stuff.

It closely mirrors the drop in quality suffered in Season 3 of TOS.
(09-18-2014, 09:16 AM)Ryudo Wrote: I like the novels. I have particularly enjoyed the recent Data trilogy. There ain't a new TNG until like November though so until then, I'm picking through what comes out.
The Data books have been great, but they really need to get him back on the Enterprise. It just reminds me of the Gotham Central series that came out. While it was great, it was missing Gordon and Bullock. People argue that Data wouldn't rejoin Starfleet. Fine, then he should be there as a civilian scientist or something. The cast is thin enough as it is.

(09-18-2014, 09:16 AM)Ryudo Wrote: The Voyager stuff has been a little... ridiculous but with the status quo changing yet again, I am interested to see what happens next.
I don't read Voyager, but I was sad to see what they did with Janeway after PAD did such a good job giving her exactly what she deserves in his TNG book...
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
Switch Friend Code: SW-3450-8782-7709
(09-18-2014, 09:24 AM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Name one movie other than Khan that had any "meat" to it, please.

All of them. I just did a rewatch. Even 5 has ideas in it that are smarter than anything in any of the new movies combined.
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
Switch Friend Code: SW-3450-8782-7709
Can't they all exist on their own merit? There were sucky ones with the original cast. There were sucky ones with the TNG cast. The second reboot wasn't as good as the first but it was still entertaining.
(09-18-2014, 09:28 AM)Ben Wrote: All of them. I just did a rewatch. Even 5 has ideas in it that are smarter than anything in any of the new movies combined.

Where's the Ben Eye Roll when I need it?!
(09-18-2014, 09:24 AM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Name one movie other than Khan that had any "meat" to it, please.

The Motion Picture, The Search for Spock, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact...
(09-18-2014, 09:25 AM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Season 7 is rough, man. There are a few good episodes, and obviously the finale, but there's a ton of stupid stuff.

It closely mirrors the drop in quality suffered in Season 3 of TOS.

When Season 7 is good, it's great! When it's bad, it's REALLY bad. There's very little middle ground. I'd say there's 4 excellent episodes.

You can tell there was a lot of family and nostalgia on the staff's minds. I count 12 episodes that deal with family members and moving on with/without them. Which is cool in theory, but I think they tanked every one of 'em.

So I don't necessarily think they were out of ideas, they just went in an ill-advised direction, with the best of intentions.
[Image: ZURFndf.jpg]