Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Star Trek Thread
(09-18-2014, 08:33 AM)Ben Wrote: They suck, and you suck for thinking they don't suck!

You keep up this attitude Mister, and you'll be watching Insurrection and Nemesis as a double feature!
(09-18-2014, 09:32 AM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Where's the Ben Eye Roll when I need it?!

Is it OK that I like some of the TOS movies, some of the TNG movies, and some of the reboot movies? Do I have to fill out an exemption form?
[Image: ZURFndf.jpg]
(09-18-2014, 09:24 AM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Name one movie other than Khan that had any "meat" to it, please.

And I'm not talking about Ricardo Montelbon's rippling pecs.

The Search for Spock and Undiscovered Country had some substance to them. First Contact too, though lesser.

The movies have had a hard time balancing their elements. They either go for too much blam!-blam! action, or too much ponderous navel-gazing. In general, the TV series best episodes have been better than the movies overall.
(02-20-2016, 11:00 AM)Jason Wrote: Morty wept

(02-20-2016, 11:01 AM)LETTERS Wrote: Morty is Morty.
I wasn't a fan of Star Trek as a kid though I had seen a few episodes of Next Generation and Deep Space Nine neither really held my interest at the time. I first got into the original series when I started catching reruns on late at night when I would come home from the bar. At first I would laugh at how silly some of the special effects were like the costume the dog wears in "The Enemy Within". Eventually I started to really enjoy the stories. I've managed to watch every episode of the original series, Next Generation, the animated series and the prequel Enterprise. I've caught some reruns of Voyager, a few episodes of DS9 and I've seen all the films accept the newest one.

I really enjoyed the Trekkies documentaries. I always get choked up during the Nichelle Nichols interview where she talks about meeting Martin Luther King Jr and he convinces her to stay on the show. The James Doohan interview where he talks about meeting the fan girl who was considering suicide was also very moving.

There was a fan film called Of Gods and Men starring Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig and from what little I saw the quality was really impressive.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison
(09-18-2014, 09:32 AM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: Where's the Ben Eye Roll when I need it?!
It doesn't work for people that suck!!
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
Switch Friend Code: SW-3450-8782-7709
(09-18-2014, 09:34 AM)mike.black Wrote: The Motion Picture, The Search for Spock, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact...

TMP: Space Pajamas and 45 minutes of getting to the Ship. If this is meat, it's the bland(y)est meat imaginable.

First Contact: All action, no substance. I love it, but let's not pretend it's heady or meaty in the least.

The Undiscovered Country: Replaces science with Shakespeare. I guess there's meat from a classic literature sense, but definitely not a science fiction-y sense.

The Final Frontier: Really? We are supporting one of the worst science fiction movies ever in an effort to discredit others? Replaces science with religion. Not very heady, more stupid.

Generations has its techno-babble, and is dull. Not sure it's meaty, but it's definitely the "hardest" sci-fi of the films.

Voyage Home: Replaces "meatiness" for hilarious Chekov hijinks.
(09-18-2014, 09:36 AM)Your pal Jim Wrote: Is it OK that I like some of the TOS movies, some of the TNG movies, and some of the reboot movies? Do I have to fill out an exemption form?
I kind of like Generations out of nostalgia (my mother was dying of cancer when it came out, so the whole "time is our enemy or our friend" theme resonated with me) and First Contact is fun, but overall the TNG movies kind of suck and are shitty. It was the beginning of the end for smart Star Trek movies.
(04-13-2018, 05:23 PM)r0cketfr0g Wrote: Ben, that was a pretty good post! Thanks!
(09-18-2014, 09:36 AM)Your pal Jim Wrote: Is it OK that I like some of the TOS movies, some of the TNG movies, and some of the reboot movies? Do I have to fill out an exemption form?

I like most of the movies (oof Nemesis...)! But let's not pretend most of them aren't just goofy, extended episodes! It's like people are complaining how the new flicks are empty calories, THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN THAT!

I just prefer my empty calories to be well-made!
(09-18-2014, 09:31 AM)Ryudo Wrote: Can't they all exist on their own merit?
No.

Sorry guys, this is official board policy. Unless you're talking about how they suck, discussion of the reboot movies is prohibited. If you don't like it, go make your own message board to talk about it.
(09-18-2014, 09:09 AM)Your pal Jim Wrote: The first one was a lot of fun (except for the dumbass balloon hands bit). I remember feeling like I was floating afterwards, the space stuff was so cool.

The second one was not great, but tolerable.

Jim's words are the correct words.