Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was the last good Will Smith movie?
(12-03-2014, 12:44 AM)Nat Purcell Wrote: Is it last "unassailable piece of cinematic art?" Or is it "last good movie."

Most of the movies on the list are fair to good.

I'm literally qualifying as "last good movie". I'm not holding his filmography up against "Seven Samurai".
This is the post that got me thinking about it btw:

(12-02-2014, 06:56 PM)Jason Wrote: Can will get the fire back, or is he like Tom Cruise now?

Will Smith wishes he had the film resume of Tom Cruise. In that same time period Cruise made:

Quote:2014 - Edge of Tomorrow
2013 - Oblivion
2012 - Jack Reacher
2011 - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
2010 - Knight and Day
2008 - Valkyrie
2008 - Tropic Thunder
2007 - Lions for Lambs
2006 - Mission: Impossible III
2005 - War of the Worlds
2004 - Collateral
2003 - The Last Samurai
2002 - Minority Report
2001 - Vanilla Sky
2000 - Mission: Impossible II
1999 - Magnolia
1999 - Eyes Wide Shut

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/

'Edge of Tomorrow' was fantastic! Loved every minute.
'Oblivion' was flawed but beautifully shot.
'Mission: Impossible III' is pure fun.
'Collateral' was a good film and a nice change of pace for Cruise
'Vanilla Sky' was fantastic.
'Magnolia' and 'Eyes Wide Shut' were both sold choices. Cruise scored the lead role in Kubrick's last film. That's huge.
Again, Thud is right. Will Smith hasn't even touched anything close to half those movies. Cruise may be off his nut, but he's still vital as a movie star.
Ghost protocol is also a great film.

For me, Tom Cruise became a great actor in Vanilla Sky.

And having just recently watched Magnolia he was amazing in that film as well.
I think Will Smith will always have a certain charisma that will make you like him. Unfortunately, that charisma isn't enough to make the movie he's in that much better or more liked.
I think Will could really benefit from playing someone who is really against his normal type of roles he takes.
Tom Cruise makes good movies for the most part.

He did an interview on the Nerdist recently, probably to promote Edge of Tomorrow, but you got the sense that he actively tries to make/star in films that are good.

There were was a really good piece on Will Smith on Grantland a few years ago about his career, the point of it was that he chooses his films based on a set of criteria related to how much box office they'll do. At that point, I think he was the highest grossing movie star in history, or something like that.

And yeah--MiIII is a really good action movie.

Top Gun 2 is floating in the ether by the way.
[Image: shield_identicard_by_winterroseasfr-d3ez4ud.jpg]
I don't think all of those are shit. Some are perfectly serviceable popcorn flicks. Saturday afternoon cable TV type stuff. I don't think I'd highly recommend most of those films though.
My only problem with late period Tom Cruise is that he's too old to be taking his shirt off. That shit was just plain gross in Ghost Protocol and Knight And Day.
(12-03-2014, 12:53 AM)The Robot Lord of Tokyo Wrote: I think Will Smith will always have a certain charisma that will make you like him. Unfortunately, that charisma isn't enough to make the movie he's in that much better or more liked.
I think Will could really benefit from playing someone who is really against his normal type of roles he takes.

Will Smith needs a Training Day.
Let's not forget that Will Smith is also the person that turned down Django Unchained because Django wasn't the main character, according to Smith.