Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Controversial Opinions Thread
(12-27-2014, 07:52 PM)Thudpucker Wrote: Moffat is awful.

Any particular reason?
(12-27-2014, 08:34 PM)David Aspmo Wrote: Any particular reason?

His parents didn't love him enough?
(12-27-2014, 07:52 PM)Thudpucker Wrote: Moffat is awful.

No love for Sherlock?
(12-27-2014, 08:58 PM)Andreas Wrote: No love for Sherlock?

I'm indifferent to Sherlock. The only thing I really like about it are the actors.

The writing is weak and, like everything Moffat does, overly melodramatic.
(12-27-2014, 11:54 AM)russw Wrote: I don't believe they were involved at all

I don't think that opinion is really controversial.
(12-27-2014, 09:03 PM)Damian696 Wrote: I don't think that opinion is really controversial.

It's not. The consensus now is that it was Russia.
The Newsroom was a good show.

Frank Miller has been a better comic book writer than Neil Gaiman. Gaiman's better regarded now, but that's mainly because he's been a better celebrity/ ambassador.

While deeply flawed, the Academy Awards and nominations are a useful barometer of quality. These tend to be good films.

Benedict Cumberbatch was the right guy to play Khan.

Rent control is a bad policy.

John McCain was the best major party presidential nominee since Dwight Eisenhower.
Being more of a Marvel guy, I think Marvel being bought by Disney was the worse thing to happen to the company.

The only upside I have seen from the buyout has been the plethora of Marvel movies / shows and licensed products. And I only say that with the hope some kids and adults decide to give comics a chance after seeing how cool the characters are in the movies / shows.

The downside has been the comics line. It seems like the titles being produced are mainly there to serve the movie / merchandising side of the business. I know there are exceptions (a female Thor, for example) but overall, the comics don't seem to be their own entity anymore. The impression I get is the Marvel line of comics will slowly become a promotional tool there to promote the Marvel line of movies. The Marvel universe and its long history of characters and plotlines cherry picked in order to create shows and movies. Instead of being its own art form and secular universe, it's become a tool for Disney to make even more money.

To me, I find that kinda sad.

Wesley

(12-28-2014, 01:00 AM)Mister Mets Wrote: The Newsroom was a good show.

Frank Miller has been a better comic book writer than Neil Gaiman. Gaiman's better regarded now, but that's mainly because he's been a better celebrity/ ambassador.

I agree on Miller. He's done far more exceptional work in comics than Gaiman. Plus, I find Gaiman to be a tad overrated myself in both comics and prose.

(12-28-2014, 01:00 AM)Mister Mets Wrote: While deeply flawed, the Academy Awards and nominations are a useful barometer of quality. These tend to be good films.

I tend to lean more towards the Spirit award nominations. The Oscars do get some of the nominations right but it does seem like a lot of them are nominated because they are expected to be regardless if it deserves it or not (Steep, David O. Russeull movies, any major movie released around Christmas day, and Coen Brothers movies)[/quote]

(12-28-2014, 01:00 AM)Mister Mets Wrote: Benedict Cumberbatch was the right guy to play Khan.

I really don't understand why this movie got so much negativity directed towards it. It wasn't perfect but it was a fun action movie. And I agree on Cumberbatch being the right pick.

Wesley

Khan was force-fitted into the story. There's no good reason for Cumberbatch's character to be Khan. He's Khan because Abrams wanted to put in a famous Trek villain.

Then they nerf Khan's presence by having admiral Marcus be a more despicable bad guy than Khan. Khan should always be the front and center bad guy.
(02-20-2016, 11:00 AM)Jason Wrote: Morty wept

(02-20-2016, 11:01 AM)LETTERS Wrote: Morty is Morty.