Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some good non-Disney / PIXAR / Ghibli / Dreamworks animation
I ran across an film I had forgotten about today named 'Battle For terra'.

I have vague memories about it and I can't remember if it was good but it got me thinking about other animated films that don't get a lot of attention because they're not made by one of the 4 big studios.

What are some good non-big 4 animated films?
Rankin/Bass is a company I've always had a soft spot for. They're mostly known for their great holiday specials (like 'Rudolph' and 'Frosty the Snowman') but they did some fun fantasy cartoons too.

They did 'The Hobbit', 'The Return of the King', 'The Last Unicorn', and 'The Wind in the Willows' (I loved all of those as a kid) but my favorite by far was 'The Flight of Dragons'

Persepolis

Mary and Max
[Image: 23hu877.gif]

some of my favs
Don Bluth is another animator I loved as a kid. Everyone remembers his work like 'The Secret of NIMH', 'An American Tail', 'The Land Before Time', ect. but he has one that I think is way under-rated.

'Titan A.E.' was a flop at the time but I think it's a lot of fun and it holds up well. It's more mature than most of Bluth's work.

(03-20-2015, 11:18 PM)Thudpucker Wrote: Rankin/Bass is a company I've always had a soft spot for.

I feel that same way for the Don Bluth films

haha that's awesome. I love Titan AE!! you're right. I think it's one of his most mature films in structure and storytelling. some of the 80's ones really jump from scene to scene badly.
Laika scratches a particular itch for me.

Got to get Ralph Bakshi in here too.

Most of his stuff isn't for me but I do like some of it. I liked 'Lord of the Rings', of course. 'Wizards' is fun. 'Fire and Ice' and 'Cool World' have their moments too.

My favorite is probably 'American Pop':

(03-20-2015, 11:26 PM)FourColorFrenzy Wrote:

[Image: 23hu877.gif]