Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some good non-Disney / PIXAR / Ghibli / Dreamworks animation
(07-10-2019, 07:20 PM)Thudpucker Wrote: I still love Watership Down. I just re-read it a few years ago and it’s timeless.

The Netflix one is WEIRD.  The animation is off-putting and total uncanny valley, but having it at four 50 minute episodes lets more of the book be told and they have a fucking hell of a cast. The ending is still really haunting and beautiful. Give it a shot, but again, you'll never get quite used to the animation.

Oh, and for some reason they changed Kehaar from Russian to Scottish which is dumb and totally changes the character.
Yeah, I saw the Netflix version and didn’t like it at all. It completely lacked the spirit of the book.

There was a really good tv version of it back in the 90’s though. It went on for 3 seasons and had a lot of original material, expanding on the book in a good way:

All of the episodes are up for free on YouTube if you’re interested:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1l8YJ_L_Q
(07-10-2019, 07:30 PM)Thudpucker Wrote: Yeah, I saw the Netflix version and didn’t like it at all. It completely lacked the spirit of the book.

There was a really good tv version of it back in the 90’s though. It went on for 3 seasons and had a lot of original material, expanding on the book in a good way:

All of the episodes are up for free on YouTube if you’re interested:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1l8YJ_L_Q
I've seen an episode or two. Felt too kiddie.
(07-10-2019, 08:00 PM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: I've seen an episode or two. Felt too kiddie.

It is kiddie, the movie is still the best version. The 90’s show did have some fun original content though.
(07-10-2019, 08:01 PM)Thudpucker Wrote: It is kiddie, the movie is still the best version. The 90’s show did have some fun original content though.
That's cool. Did you ever read Tales from Watership Down? It is also a bit too child-friendly, but it's a good diversion.
(07-10-2019, 08:14 PM)Adrian B AWESOME Wrote: That's cool. Did you ever read Tales from Watership Down? It is also a bit too child-friendly, but it's a good diversion.

I did but it was a long time ago. I would like to re-read that one too someday.